Monday, July 2, 2007

Aaron, Monet, Elaine, Jean, Terri, Aleena, Rolf

Good morning everyone. So here's a listing of blogs/care pages/caring bridge sites we monitor. If I better understood the etiquette of such sites, I would go ahead and just give out the addresses, but playing privacy safe for now.

Bob's professor, Rolf -- recovering from lung surgery, removed a cancer tumor, recurrence of childhood cancer which already took his legs, says his body now is "thawing" from the numbness of surgery to aches and pains; that's what's happening to Bob too

Amanda's classmate, Aleena -- on year, oh, I don't know 5 of brain cancer. Since kindergarten or so. Her parents are very upbeat, but last night there was despair in her mother's dispatch. Found 5 more cancer spots in her brain and spine.

Another Terri, my editor -- (isn't that cool that I can say 'my editor'?) Colon cancer. She was diagnosed a few months ago. Surgery and chemo. She's a city woman with a "cowgirl attitude."

Our family friend from NYC, Jean, who writes in here -- breast cancer. Recently diagnosed. Jean has young kids. Surgery. Chemo. Scary. Jean's strong, but still, if breast cancer can find Jean, it can also find. . .

Bob's cousin, Elaine -- breast cancer. Surgery. Chemo. Another strong lady. She's a church secretary in So. California and always gives Bob's name a place on their prayer list.

Monet, my dear friend Martha's niece, Dr R's granddaughter (remember Dr. R, one of those people who saved Bob's life?) -- Two years old, born with, oh boy, I don’t even know how to describe it. 24-7 care. Parents figuring out what is family normal. Her mother writes in here too.

Aaron, my VP’s husband – Lymphoma. Numerous surgeries. Chemo. Diagnosed just this past March. In lot’s of pain. Lisa and Aaron were a mainstay of support during our liver adventure and so, well, this is just so unfair at any rate.

Did I miss anyone?

Bob and I are trying to figure out if we’re just getting old and know more people with health issues? Or if something’s going on? And, well, you know, what are we going to do about the health care system? We already have a stack of bills from the insurance company that we will need to fight back on. And what about those who don’t have insurance? Or who pay arm and nose for insurance? Or who’s insurance refuse payment? Or whose spouse can’t work because of the round the clock care needed. Not everyone has a great employer like I do who will work with that.

I haven’t seen it yet, but Professor Mary Hess from Luther Sem, is recommending the Michael Moore movie ‘Sicko’ about the health care system. When you live in the richest country in the world all this doesn’t make sense. (Mary's brother-in-law just had a liver transplant at Mayo in Florida. They discharged him after one week. He's back in.)

If you live in a developing country, then there are other issues and plenty of them. Friends, we do not live in a developing country, so what gives? I think we have to ask that question.

In the meantime, we send prayers and love and energy to all the families listed above. And we thank you all for your support.

With love, T

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Terri, you are to kind to remember my issues when you are going through your own. You have my permission to give my page out.

If you want to start a petition to send to congress for better health care, please let me know... I will gladly sign it and distrubute it at my church. When Alan was self employed, we paid an arm and a leg for healthcare, and thankfully did not need too use it much. My bills have not started coming in yet, but I am sure they will soon.

KK's Mom said...

Hi T - I wish I knew what gives. I was just thinking about this very issue on our walk this morning. I was feeling so blessed and thankful that we currently only have one 'health' issue to face (removing a little thing-y from KK's neck sometime this year) but I'm scared to death to move forward with it. I'm also following a fellow blogger recently diagnosed (34 years old/brain cancer - www.especiallyheather.com) and she is constantly on my mind though I've never met her. There is just too much of this stuff and I don't think it's the age thing - many are way too young. I feel helpless today, crying for everyone. Your friends are in my prayers...
Love, Sharon

KK's Mom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Blessings and prayers, Terri, for all on today's prayer list. Unfortunately I have one more to add. My sister T (yep, that's what we call her) just can't seem to get rid of her breast cancer. They took her breasts, but it keeps finding other places to hang out (currently in her spine). It's an estrogen thing and has the Dr.s baffled as she's on an infusion to halt the production of estrogen - go figure. Anyway, I figure this site is about as powerful a prayer site on line can be, so I put my sister here with you and know she will get blessings aplenty.
Other than that, I am so glad you are home for the 4th and can start thinking about having to pack and move to your own parish housing in the near future.
Victoria