Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Summer of 2007

So I made a deal with Amanda. She cleans out the refrigerator and I'll buy her a tie-dye kit. Summer is not easy for a ten-year-old with parents who play home health hopscotch. I bought the kit. The fridge still needs a scrubbing.

But friends, we have tie-dye! Colorbursts galore! Shirts. Pillow cases. Beach attire. Bright blue, purple, green. It's been decided that Aidan will have a tie-dye birthday party. A hand strung tie-dye clothes line has been stretched across the trees outside the window of our apartment. The toilet is not tie-dyed. Everything else is. The bathtub, bathmat, and bathtiles are tie-dyed. As are the shower curtain, sink, and countertop. Some call it a really big mess. We call it, er, creativity.

And if you could please remind me that an inadvertently tie-dyed towel somehow ended up in a basket of dirty clothes and that it needs to be removed lest we have a whole load of colorbursted laundry. Or worse yet, a tie-dyed Joanne. Yes, friends, the Minister of Dirty Cothes is back at it.

Actually, people continue to be really nice to us. We so much enjoy getting the cards and letters with prayers and well wishes. Thank you. And we even got another weeks worth of delicious meals-on-wheels, thanks to the women's group at church.

Today Bob got the cutest recycled card from the quilting group at Minnehaha Communion Lutheran Church, where he interned in South Minneapolis. They call themselves the Busy Bees. They call Bob, Bobsie-Baby. As in "Dear Bobsie-Baby, We are praying for you." Here posted is a picture of the stoles the other quilting group hand sewed for Bob as a farewell gift at the end of his internship; this group from Our Redeemer. Bob loved being with both of those quilting groups. Junk food. Off color jokes. Friendship. One day if the Bush Administration ever does find those weapons of mass destruction and the mushroom clouds and such -- the quilters will remain standing. Ideologies rise and fall. Institutions come and go. Churches merge and purge. The quilters are always there with a clear and pure vision.

And all I did was take the garbage out and ran into Val and Steve, who are also in waiting mode. Waiting. For someone, anyone, anybishop, anychurch to call them. As in phone them. Communicate with them. Snail mail would be great. Message in a bottle. Two cups and a string. They have an interview at the end of the month and I'm really rooting for them because it would be a great place to visit. Meanwhile, since the garbage had already been taken care of I kinda teared up about our waiting. "I don't want to go to places," I say to them. "I just want to be near my family." They understand because they are members of Bob's Liver Cooperative. All I was doing was taking out the trash and ended up with a free counseling session. That's how it is around here, Val said. She's going to make one awesome pastor.

Bob already is one awesome back seat mopper, giving instructions on correct swooshing methodology from the recliner. Someone's gotta do it because a visitor is coming tomorrow. The Rev. Lonnie Branch, a real gentleman from the Northside of Minneapolis who coached basketball with Bob. I'll try to get a picture.

Uh oh, gotta go, the kids are fighting over how not to walk across the wet kitchen floor.

And this is how we are doing the Summer of 2007.

Take care everyone. Love, T

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

FUN! And too true about quilters and counseling appearing where and when you need it. Terri, you are always open to community and blessings, and that is so great. Tie-dye leaks are not so great. No kidding, soak the dyed items in the washer after adding a cup or so of vinegar (no soap) to the load first. It locks in the dye. Somehow I recall salt might too, but salt and vinegar -- isn't that a salad recipe I'm recalling? We too are waiting for The Job, The Placement, and Any Shred of Stability in Our Lives. I tell myself it takes a while for the perfect position to be ready for Paul, maybe for Bob too. Meanwhile, I am president of the Wives Wanting Husbands Employed Club and would love to drop my membership soon. Happy Birthday, Aidan! Keeping you all in prayer. Love, Kristine

Anonymous said...

Terri and Bob, I LOVE tie die. We used to do it in 4H--which, of course, was likely a brilliant strategy on the part of rural moms--the mess and wildness were concentrated--ideally at someone else's house. :)

Anyway...I can't help but wonder if the wonderful Branchs you speak of are related somehow to Aaron? His dear, dear mom was Blanche Branch... Hmmm...even if we can't prove the connection, I'm going to pretend it's real.

And, I understand your wanting to be near your family after all you've been through Terri... I don't want to leave Aaron for a minute. I know I'm going to have to...I know I'm going to want to... But for now, I can't imagine it. Which is just as well because he still needs the 24/7 caretaking.

We think of and talka b out you guys daily...

XOXOXOXO, Lisa B. and Aaron