Sunday, July 8, 2007

A Friend on the Radio

When I was driving the kids down to Rochester last week for the Open Heart vacation I heard a friend, Virgil Wiebe, being interviewed on the radio. Our families spent last Fourth of July together in the local park, three legged races and all. Virgil and his wife Susan took a similar route as we did. NYC to Baltimore, as Susan took the same relocation package I did. She with Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service. Me with LWR. We moved on to St. Paul. A year later so did they for all different reasons.

ANYWHO -- So a couple years ago in a late night channel surf, Bob and I came across Virgil. Turns out he's a munitions expert, especially regarding such little lovelies as cluster bombs. Virgil describes them as like the plastic Easter eggs. Thousands of millions of Easter eggs that open up with thousands and millions of bomblets inside. They may detonate immediately. Or they may detonate days, years, or decades later.

Go Virgil! In all my doom and gloom of late, just wanted to make mention of someone who is doing some fantastic work.

With love, T

P.S. Latest ipod download: Killing Me Softly by Roberta Flack

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Hey Terri

Two excellent posts in a row...I love the power of the liver and will keep my fingers crossed for Louie. You might want to check out these two organizations and efforts to fight HORRIBLE cluster bombs:
http://www.handicap-international.us/
and
http://www.clusterbombs.us/

love
Sarah

Terri Mork Speirs said...

Sarah, Thanks, and I didn't know that cluster bombs are not classified like landmines, so for all the progress that we've made in landmines (though still not enough) it doesn't even apply to the cluster bombs! They just drop gadzillions of those evil Easter eggs all over crazy. Doesn't sound very Christian to me, if you ask me, speaking as a Christian. I mean, what would Jesus do? Love ya! T