Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Confessions of a Preacher's Wife-to-be

This is going to be short because I am blogging on American Idol which goes totally against my sensibilities. I watched it last night and I didn't even have to. My husband is no longer in eternal-sleep keeping us all housebound. But now it's too late. I'm already into it. I love Belinda. Slimy Simon is dead on in describing her as a young Gladys Knight. That Sanjaya guy totally cracks me up. The curly haired guy is really good. They all are. That crying girl was adorable and I was so happy they let her on stage to hug all the contestants. I started crying. And whenever anyone can lob a clever jab towards slimy Simon I am sadistically satisfied. Even though I know deep down that it just adds to all his celebrity. Sigh. Anyway, the Hermans Hermits guy (Peter Noon, photo) had a good one, something about the Brits being happy chaps and the ones who aren't 'come over here' i.e. to the U.S., as in the slimy guy. Plus, reminding us all that this isn't a singing contest, it's a voting contest, in essense, then, who really cares what that pathetic panel says. Oh dear, too much musing on a phenomenom that I profess to not care about. And for all my efforts to be above so-called reality TV. They got me. Now tonight I have to watch the results. Except for it's Lent, it's Wednesday, and Bob's giving the homily at Redeemer in North Minneapolis. There's another first in his recovery. But more importantly, is this the reality of what it's like to be a pastor's wife? Missing American Idol on a results night? Uh oh. I'm doomed.

On a more serious note, a good friend of mine just got some news with regards to the health of her husband that is not what we had hoped for. Can't say much now, except for that I'm starting to understand better what it's like to wish you could do something and to feel so far away and to wait for that caringbridge site to be set up. Strength. Courage. Prayer. Yoga Suits. That's the best I could offer.

Thanks again everyone for coming over to the liver blog. You're the best. With love, T

P.S. Re: parental angst of yesterday -- We had excellent parent/teacher conferences last night plus the dentist found -0- cavities today. Amanda's teacher said it was a joy to have her gentle maturity in class. Aidan's teacher said that he raises his hand and participates in class. Holy cow. I'm taking all that as more signs of the grace of God, given that we basically ignored the kids all year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, so this has nothing to do with your post, but I wanted to share a story with you from a site called HappyNews.com about a double liver transplant.

Ok, one question related to you post: Do you call in and vote?

Terri Mork Speirs said...

Kattie, Thanks for the article. Actually, I had read it, now that I am looking to yahoo news as a source of information. But I had not seen this picture. Wow, just amazing. I should really post this here. Will do that tomorrow. What gets me too is how the 21 year old is on the same timeline as Bob, sick in Sept. transplant in Feb. except for of course, Bob's liver came back. Thank God.

I now start to feel it's my civic duty to call in and vote for American Idol contestants. And then I shake my head and wonder exactly what am I thinking. Plus, I'm starting to analyze why slimy Simon bugs me so much -- I think it's because he's destroying young hearts and minds and vocations. He's doing it all wrong. And everyone lets him. It's that phenomenon whereby if a person has some sort of certain charisma, they can get away with anything.

Take care, T