Saturday, April 7, 2007

Happy Birthday Shanghai Tom!

Hello and welcome to the liver blog.

We would like to send a warm birthday greetings around the world to Shanghai, China (see East coast of map) where Bob's brother Tommy teaches English at Shanghai University. Having taught in Thailand and Korea, and earning his black belt way back long time ago in his Brooklyn days, NYC is more like the second home, Asia being the first. I think it was the karate teacher that got him all interested in Asia.

And he even came for Bob's graduation last May. Front row, left, man in white.

Here's a factoid in honor of Tommy's birthday, straight from the Lonely Planet website: China is one of the world's last great smoking reserves, with smoking permitted everywhere except airports and railway stations. China makes up 20% of the world's population, but smokes 30% of the world's cigarettes. More about China here.

I have not read any memoirs that relate to China, hmmm. . .better get on that. Besides Tommy, my closest kin to China is our pastor's exchange daughter, Cecilia (who served at the benefit) and my love for Feng Shui, the Chinese art of placement according to positive energy flow. I think my longing for Feng Shui stems from the fact that generally it does not exist for me. Coming soon.

Happy Easter everyone! :-)

Love, T

P.S. Aidan is starting karate next week, with his buddy Chan.
P.P.S. Oh yes, as an advocate for language immersion learning, I have to mention that St. Paul now also has a Chinese Immersion school. Full instruction in Chinese starting on day one of kindergarden, especially designed for kids from English speaking households.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Darling T! We share a Shanghai connection. I am "Mama Sue" to Zhang Xiao (Nicole). Nicole and Annie became sisters in 2002 when Annie spent six weeks teaching English to teachers of English (an Amity/Global Mission program). Paul, Annie and I spent Christmas 2004 in Shanghai with Nicole...and two days with her parents, too. Check out the pictures at http://imageevent.com/edisonswift/china2004
The story about how our families have joined heart to heart is a great one...a great one for that "someday soon" breakfast that I'm counting on. And the story keeps going. Nicole is going to come to Michigan State University (Annie's alma mater)for business school in the fall! I have another daughter at MSU!
I highly recommend "Wild Swans." It's a biography of three generations of women in China, written by the granddaughter. I read it before attending the 1995 NGO Forum on Women in Beijing and it stays with me. Growing up she was told to "think about the poor, starving capitalists" when tempted not to eat everything on her plate. Ha!
OK...it's resource packet time for the Suester...I better do SOMETHING before I turn in for this Easter night.
Blessings, Sue-s