Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Duct Tape and the Liver Doc

Hello Friends. Thanks for coming over to the liver blog. It's nice to have you here and just imagine that we're chatting over a cup of coffee.

Thought you'd like to see Amanda and her pile of duct tape, a Happy Gift from Grandma Mork, with whom Bob and I had lunch today while we were in Rochester for Bob's Liver appointment at the Mayo.

Anyway, before I could even upload this picture Amanda had already made her Dad a little man-purse, ahem, European carry-all, in the colors of football. Vikings on the outside and Green Bay Packers on the inside. Isn't that clever? He's wondering if Mother Mork could please get her duct tape in the colors of the Jets or the Mets.

So, today, Bob's biliruben count is 1.4 and the liver doctor, Dr. Talwalker (photo) said that for all intents and purposes Bob's liver is healed. Healed. Isn't that a great word? We went up to the transplant unit for old time's sake. Tried to think good thoughts and send prayers to all the people there, and their families. We haven't actually seen Dr. T since last November because Bob was too weak to get there. We thanked him for being so flexible in doing the phone consultations. And offered our support for other families who may be going through this, the severe acute thing. Like finding yourself suddenly in the last stages of liver disease. Only Bob's liver decided to heal. It's a miracle. Like the liver has a brain and can make decisions to stop and to start according to its mood. A diva liver.

It's like Bob is really back. He really is. And to be honest, I feel a little shell shocked from it all. Like it was a dream or something. Thanks for coming over.

With love, T

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Terri,

After Faustin passed away and when I was still living in Boston, I occasionally had to go to Brigham and Women's hospital. Each time, I had an anxiety attack. When I was seeing the grief counselor, I told him I couldn't understand why -- I fully prepared myself for going back to where Faustin was treated. He just looked at me for a minute or so and then ever so gently led me through a conversation as to why the place might never be easy for me. I suspect the road to the Mayo Clinic is the same for you. Stress and memory and recovery and our reactions are so tricky, aren't they? Perhaps you will feel about the road the way I feel about the hospital -- it reminds me of the importance of what we went through, of the person we loved and lost, and the amazing people who helped us through the journey. I thank God that Bob has survived this horrible illness and that you all have so many people who love you. You deserve every wonderful thing that is happening now, for you have been through the perfect storm.

Much love
Sarah

Sarah said...

Ok, one was serious and this one is shallow...

That Dr. Talwalker is cute.

Terri Mork Speirs said...

Dear Sarah, I'm trying to figure out how to send direct e-mails from this thing, but sofar no success, so will just post here. THANKS so much for these postings. Very helpful to hear about your experiences with anxiety attacks. May God bless the memory of Faustin and keep him close. And yes, as I say, by now I'm in love with Dr. Talwalker. ;-) Love, T